Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Crack the WIP 3/5/12

So I got real busy last week and never got around to posting a hobby update. And then I went out of town this last weekend to see family up in PA (definitely a change in scenery from Central Texas...). So my hobby time has been somewhat limited lately. I have, however been working on getting my models ready for Adepticon. So far I'm right on track, and should be done in time. assuming I don't go and buy more models and add them in at the last minute. Not that I would ever do that..

Wait. He can charge how far?


so let's take a look at what I've been working on lately:




This update is actually models painted over the last 2 weeks. I started by finishing off the last 4 swordsmen to make up a max unit with UA. I don't have pictures here of those guys, since they look almost exactly like the other swordsmen which were in a previous update. But they are done now, which is great. If you've never painted Praetorians before,  let me tell you, they're a pain. there are so many little bronze details to do on these guys. I am very happy to be done with them and to move on to things with just a little less armor plates to do edges on...

After finishing the swordsmen, I wanted to do something a little different. I took out my list of models and realized that I only had one model left to get my eMakeda list fully painted! I was finally going to get around to painting the dreaded Molik Karn. I still don't know why people don't like Molik. He never does all that much for me. I like him with Makeda though, so he made it into this list.

    
KAAAAAAARN!
Once I started painting Molik I realized something. He is basically just a giant swordsman. Sigh. back to painting all those tiny little bronze fringes. and lots of armor plating, with spikes on the shoulder. and two large swords. He even plays more like a swordsman than a normal beast. Two swords, lowish POW, side step. Runs well with eMakeda. Its like someone just gave a super growth hormone to a praetorian one day and ended up with MK.

At least I finally got him painted. I've been using him for months now (mostly just with Makeda). He looks much better with some paint on him. and now I have my first fully painted 50 point list! this is a big milestone for me. Maybe next time I'll take a group shot of my eMakeda army.


also in this update, I got done with my one merc/minion model. Orin Midwinter. Sadly, I just started using this little guy right when character restrictions become standard. I never really put 2 and 2 together to realize how awesome a 12" bubble of spell denial could be. If I could take this little guy in every list I would. He will definitely be in my Hardcore list and one of my Masters lists. even if he doesn't do much, he at least makes an opponent rethink some moves, and could gum up the works at a very bad time. He also looks cool.

what's not to like about a rogue monk?

I like how Orin turned out. Doing a merc model lets you step out of your normal color scheme for a minute and do something that can stand out from the rest of the herd. it felt nice to not pull out the same 6 or 7 pots of paint that I have been using for all of my models. unfortunately for Orin, it also means he stands out on the battlefield, and may be in for a quick death against certain opponents. Pretty sure most people will target the annoying monk who is keeping you from using any of the spells you took that caster for.

Well, that's all for now. This week I will hopefully get a few more models painted, because next week I'll be out for a whole week, which means no painting. I should still be ok, but I'm starting to feel the looming deadline.

Still to go;

for pMorghoul:
4 paingivers
Rhinodon

for eHexeris:
Hexeris (yeah, important to paint the caster)
Marketh
Void Spirit

so 8 models left, and 7 weeks to do them all. shouldn't be a problem, but I can't stop now!

No comments:

Post a Comment