Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Welcome to the Webway.

This site is a collection of my thoughts opinions and background pieces related to the game of warhammer 40,000. The site will focus on one of the most enigmatic of the factions in the diverse 40K universe, the Eldar Harlequins. I have always been fascinated with the Harlequins, from the time I started my first warhammer army (Eldar) in 2005. Games Workshop hasn't released a harlequin codex since the Rogue Trader expansions, but that hasn't stopped many people from creating and using harlequins in their collections. 

I have been planning to create an all-harlequin force for a long time, using conversions and old harlequin rogue-trader era models and following the rules found in another codex so that my army would be playable. Because let's face it, no matter how cool an army looks, no one wants to build an army that can't be played. unfortunately, the current craftworld eldar book leaves much to be desired for a harlequin army. it is doable, you can find a lot of good examples on-line in various forums. 

The largest obstacle you will find when trying to find suitable count-as rules for a harlequin army is that the Craftworld codex doesn't support the harlequin playstyle. Harlequin armies should hit hard and fast, with a whole lot of close combat goodness, and very few vehicles. Using Codex:CE sticks you with using storm guardians or guardian jetbikes for your army core. these "assault" troops can't stand up to other armies basic assault units. you could have an army that looked damn cool, but would fall over in a stiff breeze. 

Fortunately, Games workshop finally decided to update the Dark Side of the Eldar. After one look through the Codex, I knew that I finally had a Codex to support my dream army. Close combat troops? check. fast, hit and run style? check! poison/fear/illusion-based weapons? check. viable no-vehicle build? check. and to round it off, Games Workshop even put the Venom into the codex as a transport option. the last time anyone saw the venom, it was the only transport option available to Gav Thorpe's beta version Codex: Harlquins. 

Since the codex came out, I have been collecting, converting and painting a new all harlequin force. As is the case with any good count-as army, however, I needed to build up the fluff behind my army. I don't want to just run a "harlequin-themed" Dark Eldar list. I wanted to create a whole new army. 

And that is where this blog comes in. I have spent the last few months studying everything I could get my hands on related to the background and fluff of the harlequins. I have looked at everything from the Rogue Trader books to the Eldar fluff, Dark eldar fluff, fan codexes, etc. This site will serve as a repository of all of the information I can find on the Harlequins and their place in the Warhammer universe. I hope that this will allow my readers to learn more about one of the most interesting factions in this game. 

enjoy! as always, comments and suggestions are welcome. There are many others out there who have written fluff about the harlequins, modeled harlequin units, etc. If that's you, this is a place where you can show your work off to others or seek inspiration for a new project.

Welcome to the Webway

No comments:

Post a Comment